Sunday, February 3, 2013

From 80's Wonderland to Sassy Purple Mini-Dress. DYI Vintage Upcycle

Let us begin with this Frumpalicious 80's Fantasyland.  O. M. G. 


 I pride myself on seeing the inner beauty (to quote a favorite childhood movie- "Aladdin", it was a "diamond in the rough.")  Like Katy Perry with the braces in that Friday night video-  just waiting to go from super geek to super-foxy-sweet.  Okay-  I think I've made enough metaphors for the day-  shall we continue? ;)



 I knew that I wanted to take it from bad eighties church wear to a sassy mod mini so I penned it down.  Then it was time to do some slicing and stitching to make this girls pretty.

Step 1:  Loose that length!  I used my much loved rotary cutter, and cut about 2 & 1/2 inches off the bottom leaving the backside a touch longer (more coverage for us ladies with an ample bottom ;)  I used my serger to finish the edge (a zig zag stitch will work just fine-  just don't make the stitch to small or it will curl the fabric), then I folded under about 1 inch, ironed and sewed a straight stitch hem.

Step 2:  Get outta here sleeves!!! You are hot (and I don't mean sexy)  and we don't need you anymore!

I decided I wanted a bit more of a cap sleeve so I did some more slicing.  Then I finished the raw seem with my serger, folded it under about a half inch and sewed a straight stitch hem.  Once that was done I sewed up the side seam leaving an opening for the arm hole.


Add a black belt and some tights and we're done!  Take your head-gear off and dance little darling!

(Obligatory Hipster Photo)

Photos, Hair, Make-Up and Styling by Yours Truly (Elisabeth Donaldson)
Follow Me on Pinterest
Available for Sale on etsy
Follow me on Instagram @britelightfire
Follow me on Facebook @ Monarch Clothing

Monarch.  Clothing by Elisabeth Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment